Skip to main content


Vehicle insurance is provided on a public basis in Manitoba, so for basic auto insurance and vehicle registration, Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI) are the only game in town. Renewals occur on a five-year schedule, four months after your birth date. Your driver’s license, identification card and any Autopac coverage expire together and are normally renewed at the same time. Payment of outstanding premium is all that is required at the anniversary each year during the term.

Services Provided

  • New customer setups
  • Renewals (including Driver’s License photos)
  • Transfers
  • Cancellations
  • Midterm changes
  • Rental car insurance
  • Temporary Registration Permits
  • Written/road test receipts

Common Questions You May Have

Q: Moving out of Manitoba?

If you are temporarily leaving Manitoba, make sure your new jurisdiction allows you to maintain your Manitoba driver’s license throughout your stay.

Q: Can I authorize someone else renew my driver’s license or to renew/change my Autopac?

If you receive a letter from MPI that says your reassessment is coming up and you have no changes to make, your authorized representative only needs to come in with your letter and make payment. No additional documentation is necessary.

To have someone make changes to or renew your Autopac you will need to provide your authorized representative with a signed, completed Autopac authorization letter.

To have someone renew your driver’s license, you will need to provide them with a signed, completed drivers license authorization letter and a signed, completed driver unavailable form.

Q: Do we get discounts for good driving?

Yes. Your Autopac discount is related to your placement on the Driver Safety Rating scale. On the DSR scale, drivers generally move up one point each year when no input factors are applied against them (such as at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, or traffic infractions). For full information on the DSR scale and to calculate your DSR rating, please visit or call one of our offices.

Q: I just purchased a vehicle. What paperwork do I need to register it?

When you purchase a new vehicle, you require the Bill of Sale and the New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS) to register it. When you purchase a used vehicle, you require a Bill of Sale, Transfer of Ownership Document and a valid Certificate of Inspection. All documents must be originals and completed in full.

Q: Can I sue another driver for hurting me in an accident?

Manitoba Public Insurance provides compensation to individuals who are injured in automobile accidents. Because of this, we cannot sue other Manitobans for bodily injury. However, when outside of our jurisdiction or in the event of property damage this restriction does not apply. For this reason, individuals are encouraged to purchase high limits of third party liability.